Eligibility : Graduation (Any Stream with relevant or Allied Subject) or eq.
* The title of the programme is approved u/s 22 of University Grants Commission (UGC) Act 1956.
Master of Arts (Geography) is a Two Year four semester programme. Geography is considered as the mother of all social science discipline and it has vast scope and great opportunities in the various fields like in Teaching profession, GIS and Remote sensing fields, Disaster management, Forest Management, Rural and Urban development, Natural Resource Management, Regional Planning and Development, Map Making and Digitization, Environmental Management, Department of Census and Survey, town planning etc.
The Department of Geography under the Faculty of Social Science is offering Undergraduate degree, Post graduate and M.Phil. and Ph.D. in Geography. The first session began in 2013-2014. The Department has a vision to make it one of the best Departments in North East Region for which several plans and programmes are being chalked out like preparations of the most updated syllabus in Geography, Lab with all facilities, most qualified faculties etc. The Department also plans to develop a state of art Remote Sensing and GIS laboratory for the students so that they can have access to the most updated knowledge of this branch of Geography which is emerging as a potential area of recruitment.
- Central Library: Both reading room and lending facilities are available in the U.G. and P.G. Central Libraries where books on contemporary issues in Geography are available.
- Laboratory Facility: Free access to several survey and other instruments like Prismatic Compass, Dumpy Level, Theodolite, Abney Level, Mirror Stereoscope, GPS etc. are available for regular classes as well as for the field surveys.
- GIS Laboratory: One well-furnished GIS Laboratories with more than 20 computers are there in the department.
- Digital Class-room: All the class –rooms of P.G. section is furnished with LCD Projector where teachings by modern aids are provided.
- Field Tours: Both natural and cultural landscapes are considered as Laboratory for Geographical Study. Several long and short tours are organized in this respect.
- Meteorological Observatory: We have max to max instruments to observe the meteorological phenomena. We have a plan to establish a Meteorological Observatory for the collection of meteorological data. Students and common people will be benefited from this observatory.
- Wall Magazine: There are two wall magazines in the department – one is in the U.G. section while the other is in the P.G. Section.
- Seminars and Special Lectures: The department occasionally organizes special lectures by eminent teachers and scientists.
Popular Career Options :
- Teaching in School (PGT/TGT)
- Teaching in college and university level.
- Geological survey of India.
- Environmental Department.
- Oceanography Department.
- Oil & Natural Gas Commission.
- Indian Air force (Ground Duty Staff)
- Recourse Management (Conventional & Non – Conventional Recourse)
- Forest Management
- Disaster Management
- Natural Photographer
- Planning Department
- Tourism Department
- Department of Census
- Department of Remote Sensing
- Geographical Information System